Lucky for us, PowerUp still hasn't gotten past the making paper airplanes stage of its life. The PowerUp FPV follows the company's original electric homemade paper airplane kit (charge it for 20 seconds, fly it for 30) and its next-level PowerUp 3.0, which incorporates your smartphone as the remote control, and has an increased flight time of up to 10 minutes. FPV takes PowerUp's clever merger of super simple and more complex tech even further with the addition of an onboard camera and a Google Cardboard viewer that lets you experience your paper airplane drone's flight in real time VR.
As PowerUp puts it, "FPV lets you experience flight as if you were sitting in the cockpit of your very own paper airplane." Your smartphone still serves as the plane's remote control, but this time rather than tapping or tilting your phone with your hands, you'll load it into the Google Cardboard, slip it in front of your eyes, and pilot via the movements of your head.
FPV features and specs include:
- Autopilot for easy flying in windy conditions
- Video and audio recording
- A rotating camera
- 10 minutes of flight per charge
- Speeds of up to 20 MPH
- Crash-proof frame made of carbon fiber and plastic
- Multiple airplane design possibilities (you'll still have to DIY that part)
- 2.4 ghz WiFi communication
- 550 mAh rechargeable battery
- 300'+ WiFi video streaming range