Hibermate Sleeping Ear Muffs
I love it when girls wear ear muffs. Especially big furry white ones. They give them that irresistible look of sophistication meets special needs kid. Ear muffs on guys, though? Eh. Not really acceptable. Maybe, maybe we can get away with it while sleeping. But who would want to put bulbous protrusions over his ears and then lie down in bed? According to Hibermate and their new sleep mask-ear muff combo, all people of all sexes all the world around.
Despite their appeal as noise cancelers, the thought of rolling around on ear muffs as I sleep is...unappealing. Hibermate does, however, promise their mask's removable ear cups are "really soft and squishy", and thereby will be moldable and pleasing to my face. The design also incorporates rails so the cups can slide along straps and out of the way in the night if one or both do prove to be bothersome. Other features the mask-muff tag team promotes:
- Complete light blockage, no inward seepage at the cracks. Seems like there's a Batman and Robin joke in there somewhere....
- Significant noise blockage. Hibermate's ear cups are made of medical-grade silicone, and have been rated safe for use in environments up to 90dB, or about the level of truck traffic. [December 2013 Update: New information from Hibermate notes that ear cups will likely have an NRR rating between 12 and 15 dB, and will reduce incoming noises by about 40% to 50%. They are not as effective as earplugs or industrial ear muffs.]
- Recessed eye areas, so users can open them if needed. Like, if the pitch blackness created by closed eyelids isn't convincing enough. The indentations in the mask also remove any potential pressure against the eyes while sleeping, which Hibermate says is beneficial for uninterrupted REM sleep.
- Satin outer cover that is frictionless against pillows so the mask won't move or slide off.
- Fully adjustable front straps.
- Always ready to sub in when the beer goggles wear off.
Hibermate's ear muff sleep mask runs as a Kickstarter campaign through July 29, 2013.
December 2013 Update: Hibermate exceeded its Kickstarter funding goal, and is now available for order directly through the company's Website--follow the link below.