Biopod Smart Microhabitat
- biOrb Aquarium Kit with LED Light Fixture - $79.99
- Back to the Roots Water Garden - $59.99
- Bio-Bubble WonderBubble - $19.93
- Reef Octopus BioSpheres - $63.98
- Funology EcoAquarium - A Complete Balanced Eco-System - $47.00
Terrarium, aquarium, or herb garden. Grow flowers in the winter, or make a rainforest for your frogs. Read no complex manuals and acquire 0 new skills to learn how to do it. The Biopod is smart enough for the both of you. At least when it comes to growing a microhabitat in your living room. These self-contained tanks house all of the systems and sensors needed to help an outdoor environment flourish in a fraction of the space indoors. They also contain WiFi connectivity that links to the brains of the Biopod: an app able to regulate temperature, light, humidity, ventilation, and rainfall automatically based on your input of what you'd like to cultivate and grow. It could be anything from a vegetable garden to home decor.
Biopods come in One, Terra, and Aqua models. Biopod One is a countertop tank primed to grow a year-round garden of herbs, lettuce, tomatoes, peas, nearly any of the plants at the salad bar. It combines aquaponics and greenhouse methods to sprout planted seeds, measure soil conditions, and send an alert when your first harvest is ready. Biopod Terra is a larger oblong tank ideal for decorative use, or for growing a land-dwelling pet habitat. The square Biopod Aqua is a mini ecosystem for water flora and critters, wherein fish provide nutrients to the surrounding plants through a permanent active filtration system incorporating a living wall.
Biopod setup should require input only slightly more strenuous than their growth and use. Tank makers say it all breaks down to: Soil. Seed. And plant. Then tell the app what you've just soiled, seeded, and planted. Then take a nap. Eat some taquitos. Watch that new TV show about the amnesic tattooed chick who spends a lot of airtime naked. As the days go by, enjoy the fruits of your non-efforts coming to life.
Running as a Kickstarter project through November 3, 2015, Biopod backers have the opportunity to pledge for one of the 3 microhabitat models, plus opt in on accompanying Terra or Aqua starter plants. Biopod tank features include:
- Biopod app for iOS and Android
- Integrated WiFi remote-enabled lock
- HD Video for remote monitoring, sharing, and time lapse visualization
- Sunlight LED light panel
- Removable top piece with integrated ventilation
- Integrated misting system with 2L reservoir
- Tempered glass front opening door for unobstructed viewing
- Integrated heating Biopur air injection system
- Concealed central controls system powering all components out of view