POLAR Modular Magnet Pen 2.0
- Magnetic Modular Touch Pen with Steel Balls - $14.29
- Jac Zagoory Beta Inkless Pen - $31.07
- WD Modular Magnetic Polar Pen - $26.99
- Fisher Space Bullet Pen - $15.95
- Monteverde Jewelria Black Carbon Fiber Ballpoint Pen - $40.00
POLAR debuted 2-1/2 years ago as a pen that can do your writing when it's time to TCB and then serve as an accomplice to your goofing off when it's time to TCB, but you really don't feel like it. The modular pen consists of an ink refill skeleton covered in 14 rare earth neodymium magnets of body armor. And next month, POLAR is going to release a new, upgraded version of the stack-and-clack writer, the POLAR Pen 2.0.
POLAR's 2.0 will maintain the general aesthetic of the original pen, but introduce complete redesigns and redevelopment of its components the company hopes elevate its feel and performance. These include:
- Ink Refills. A 0.5mm smooth rollerball pen protrudes from one end, and a 5mm fine capacitive touchscreen stylus links up to the other. The pen's body is made from medical grade stainless steel so it will stand up better to repeated POLAR breakdown and reassembly. It is available in Black (included), Blue, and Red.
- Components. POLAR says they have made "subtle updates" to their pen modules to create a softer, more comfortable feel in the hand both during writing and fiddling.
- Magnets. POLAR's 2.0 features new hybrid neodymium magnets that have the physical durability of an N35 and the magnetic strength of an N42. In non-Bingo terms, this means they'll last a long time and will lift up to 2 pounds of steel (or, you know, stick to your fridge without falling off.)
Unchanged in the POLAR Pen 2.0 is your freedom to deconstruct and reconstruct it as a ton of different tools and toys, such as a drawing compass, finder of magnetic north, and sweet doohickey to dink around with during meetings or at jury duty. Check out the videos above for some examples of the POLAR's lures for tinkerers.
The POLAR Pen 2.0 comes in Gunmetal, Silver (plated), or Gold (plated) colors. Seriously nifty packaging boxes it up with 2 x caps, 1 x pen clip, 1 x pen tip, and 1 x black ink refill.