Everything Is Bullshit - Earth's Greatest Scams
Everything Is Bullshit. Now that's a nonpartisan sentiment we can all get behind today! Priceonomics released this book, which it subtitles The Greatest Scams on Earth Revealed, in 2014, but amidst our current run of fake news, it may catch the public interest even more in 2017. Everything Is Bullshit examines how some of the traditions we love and social "rules" we follow, or at least accept, are based on nothing more than "historical accident, the profit motives of a few companies, or the agenda of someone who died long ago."
Priceonomics, a B2B data services company that also writes about data, business, and economics, delves into topics such as:
- Why do we exchange diamond engagement rings? [Fingers crossed it's a really dumb, awful reason I can show to my girlfriend!]
- Why is wine so expensive? [Ditto.]
- How does art become "art"?
- Why does college cost so much?
- Why is the world the way it is?
Reviews of Everything Is Bullshit are pretty mixed. Not surprisingly, those who didn't like the book call its organization, creativity, research, and statistics...bullshit.