USU Parking Spot Storage Unit
The Urban Storage Unit, or USU (pronounced "oooh-sue"), provides up to 1,000 pounds worth of additional storage for people with assigned parking spots in apartment and condominium complexes. Uh, high-end apartment and condominium complexes judging from its cost, but if you can afford the elevated unit, USU does look to be a pretty creative approach to creating additional space where space is limited.
USU takes advantage of one of the few areas within urban multi-family buildings not already consumed by your or someone else's crap: the air above the hood of your car. Available in 91" or 98" widths, each aluminum container installs on a steel base within the confines of a standard parking space. On the outside USU is fitted with a 2-point keyed metal lock and welded seams to protect stored belongings. Inside awaits an empty box ready to cuddle a pile of your precious sporting goods, tools, Motown vinyl collection, and flux capacitor parts measuring up to 91"/98" wide x 36" deep x 30" high.
Additional USU features include:
- Adjustable legs and feet for uneven or sloped surfaces.
- Hydraulic door pistons enabling one-handed opening.
- Height-adjustable to fit over the hood of any car and most trucks. [Note: There should be at least 80" of clearance between the floor of your parking spot and the garage ceiling, with no obstructions in between.]
- Rustproof, weather-sealed, low-maintenance design and materials.
- 30-day money back guarantee, 1-year warranty.
USUs ship in 3 packages of 70 to 140 pounds apiece. A self-assembly manual is included, which Urban Storage Unit makers estimate will take 2 people 45 minutes to follow. Huh. It took me and my friend Cornelius 2 hours to figure out how to get the universal remote to sync up my cable box and TV so that when we pushed the Power button one wouldn't turn off while the other turned on. I wonder what that means for the USU and us.
Luckily, USU also provides an alternative White Glove Assembly option for an additional $199, which entails the company handling "every detail of shipping, receiving, and assembly" from their end.