As much as I miss these simpler days on the ski slopes, I think I'd rather move forward with Oakley's Airwave HUD & GPS goggles than don my pink & purple snowsuit and man perm to travel back in time. Though you'll pay dearly for them, Airwave technology takes downhill runs to the epic levels of "the future" we always spoke of in the 80s. The goggles, designed with traditional Oakley style and performance, also include a built-in heads-up display that integrates, amongst other bells and whistles, a remote control, GPS, Bluetooth, accelerometer, barometer, and gyro sensors.
If you think you're moving at Ludicrous Speed, Airwave's onboard sensors will confirm it. If you feel your fingertips touch the beard of Zeus as you leave the ground, Airwave's jump analytics will apprise you of how high in the sky he resides--plus your lateral distance and airtime prior to hitting the snow again. And if you're just out for a pleasant day of communing with Mother Nature, Airwave's preloaded maps, music playlist control, and buddy tracking will enhance the experience, and help ensure a few hours on the slopes doesn't turn into two days of awaiting search and rescue while contemplating eating a few of your own toes.
Airwave's prism technology enables its widescreen graphics to appear across the goggles as if their wearer were looking at a 14" screen from 5' feet away. However, the heads-up display still sits unobtrusively in the bottom right side of their frame, allowing for full forward and peripheral view. In addition to speed and jump analysis, the goggles can:
- Measure vertical feet by run, by day, and over the course of the season.
- Pinpoint your location on a resort map, or find your sought-after run/point-of-interest.
- Locate and track friends that have the Oakley Airwave goggle or App on their iPhone or Android (the two platforms that have goggle compatibility).
- Give you full control of music playlists for on-slope soundtracks.
- Enable smartphone connectivity for viewing incoming calls and texts. Bluetooth compatibility also allows for smartphone interface with Apps such as heart rate monitors.
Airwave composition begins with a chassis made of Oakley's trademarked O Matter and O-Flow Arch technology, said to reduce nasal pressure for a balanced fit and continual comfort. F3 anti-fog technology paired with a dual-vented lens design maintains clear vision, while Plutonite lens material filters out 100% of UVA, UVB, UVC and harmful blue light to 400nm, and Iridium lens coatings balance light transmission.