SPOT - Smartphone-Satellite Connector
I might say I want to go off the grid for a week, but really I mean I want to be away from people and civilization right up to the point that I need the help of people and civilization because I got my leg stuck in a rock and I don't have the balls to cut it off. SPOT Connect allows for the pairing of a smartphone to a global satellite network that enables users to send messages and GPS coordinates from pretty much anywhere on the planet. The Grand Canyon. Mont Blanc. My mom's basement.
More specifically the SPOT Connect module, its app, and accompanying service allow for:
- SOS Messages. In SOS mode SPOT sends your GPS location to the GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center (IERCC), and lets you add a custom message to update responders of your condition. The IERCC then alerts the appropriate agencies worldwide, whether it be 911 responders in North America, or 112 responders in Europe.
- Help Mode. Send either custom Type & Send (up to 41 characters) or Predefined messages (up to 120 characters) to recipients in your contact list for non-life threatening assistance.
- Check-in/OK Mode. Sends messages and GPS locations to friends and family, and can concurrently send them to Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Track Progress. Start/stop tracking your movement at any time using the SPOT Connect App (additional service required). You can also mark a Reference Point or send Check-in/OK messages from specific locations while in Track Progress mode.
- Type & Send Mode. SPOT Connect will send custom email and text messages of up to 41 characters via satellites to your contacts, updating them of your progress, letting them know off the grid is going well, or apprising them of problems if encountered.
- Social Networks. Stay connected to social networks when you venture out of cell service. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this, but different folks, different strokes, I guess. SPOT Connect's basic service package enables you to send Predefined messages to the likes of Facebook and Twitter.
Spot Connect is compatible with iPhone and Android systems, and has a Bluetooth range of approximately 30 feet. It functions in temperatures of -13 degrees F to +140 degrees F, and altitudes of -328' to 21,325'. The module is waterproof up to a depth of 1 meter for about 30 minutes.
Muchas danke to Manny, who submitted this suggestion via Dude Product Tips.