The $6,800, 84 MPG Elio
Just to calm your immediate concerns, yes, the forthcoming Elio will be available in colors other than Ghostbusters Slimer. An American-made, China-priced 3-wheeler, Elio heralds itself as a next-generation personal transporter. Able to maintain 84 miles per gallon on the highway (48 mpg in the city), a single fill of the car's 8-gallon gas tank can tool its driver-passenger combo all the way from Detroit to New York City, or Shreveport to Dallas...twice. I hope it can go other places too, because aside from NYC I'm not really interested in visiting those cities. Especially Detroit, even though that's Elio's hometown. My friend Constantine is from Detroit and one time we were at a bar in the exponentially-safer-than-Detroit city of Seattle when there was sudden gunfire outside, so we all had to drop and hide under the tables, and Constantine made sure to take his beer with him on the way, as he was very familiar with this sort of situation and figured we could be down there for a while. The only thing I thought to do was piss my pants.
Right, so Elio can manage long distances on a little bit of gas, and also probably get you there without killing you too, as each motor trike will be fitted with a Safety Management System composed of 3 airbags, a reinforced roll-cage frame, anti-lock brakes, and a crush zone 50% larger than similar vehicles.
Elio is currently accepting reservations for purchase. Production is anticipated to begin in Shreveport, LA in the spring of 2014.
Additional Elio specs for people who understand automobile jargon:
- Engine: inline, 3 cylinder, 1 liter, 70 HP, fuel-injected, SOHC gas-powered, liquid-cooled.
- Transmission: 5-speed manual or automatic. Can go in reverse, but reverse not recommended for long-distance driving.
- Top Speed: 100+ MPH; 0 to 60 in 9.6 seconds.
- Brakes: 3-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock on 15" wheels.
- Suspension: Independent system with unequal length control arms, coil-over-spring and shock in the front, and mono-shock with coil-over-spring and shock in the rear. Ground clearance is 5.75″, similar to most passenger vehicles currently on the road.
- Overall length: 160.5". Overall Height: 54.2".
- Trunk Space: 27" x 14" x 10".
- Amenities: A/C, AM/FM radio, heater & defrost, power windows & door locks at no extra charge.
- Interior Space: Designed to fit 95% of all men. Tallest test subject was 6'8", largest was 6'3", 325 pounds. Both "fit and loved it!" Writer Comment: None.
Suggested via Dude Product Tips by Doug P. Thanks very much, Doug.