Nyala Knife with Microsilk Spider Silk Handle
- Hen & Rooster SBK Fixed Blade Tan PVD Tactical Fixed Blade Knives - $1,096.77
- Puma Knives Germany Cougar Fixed Blade Knife - $725.00
- Al Mar Knives SVBM Limited Shiva Fixed Blade Knife with Black Micarta Handle - $438.89
- SpaGlo MicroSilk C Eye Revitalizer - $24.00
- Jason Integrity Collection MicroSilk Hydrotherapy Bathtub - $2,433.11
The Microsilk-handled Nyala Knife is Best Made's second collaboration with industrial biotechnology firm Bolt Threads. Following the success of 2017's Cap of Courage, Bolt suggested spinning their same bio-engineered spider silk fibers into Microsilk composite knife handles, a perfect fit for Best Made's line of blades and axes. The Nyala Knife is the result.
For those not familiar, Microsilk is a genetically engineered fiber that replicates the high tensile strength, elasticity, and durability of the silk fibers spiders spin. It is typically used in fabrics and garments - even armor - but for the Nyala Knife venture, Bolt Threads has created a Microsilk composite handle to complement the S35VN steel full-tang blade.
Nyala Knife blade machining, plus stonewashing, assembly, and hand-finishing come courtesy of Chris Reeve Knives. With a fixed, 3.75" blade, and extending 8-1/2" overall, you can use the Nyala as a utility or skinner knife. Weight is 5.96 ounces. It comes in colors Gold and Midnight. It will probably attract spiders.