KALEA Automatic Kitchen Composter
- Miracle-Gro Dual Chamber Compost Tumbler - $99.89
- Compost Bin for Kitchen Counter - $39.95
- Garden Composter Bin Made from Recycled Plastic - 110 Gallons - $74.99
- Uncle Jim's Worm Farm European Nightcrawlers Composting & Fishing Worms - $49.95
- Joyful Dirt Premium Concentrated All Purpose Organic Plant Food & Fertilizer - $14.95
"Kalea" is Hawaiian for "filled with joy," and German brand KALEA hopes after inviting its automatic kitchen composter into your home that's what you, and especially your plants and lawn, will be too.
KALEA is the garbage disposal that gives back. Instead of just compacting or processing your organic waste, KALEA eats it up and "digests" it, turning food scraps and uneaten leftovers into nutrient-rich compost in just 48 hours. KALEA is fully automatic, built with a "robust shredding system" that can process and dry most any type of raw or cooked food, even nutshells and small bones. As soon as the device's sensor-laden composting chamber detects enough food has been deposited into the KALEA, the process begins - odor- and fruit-fly-free.
Sensors also control the composting chamber's temperature, humidity, and aeration, which combine to "wake up the natural microorganisms inside the organic material and turn [them] into a land of milk and honey that accelerates the microorganisms' metabolism." KALEA reduces a transformation process that normally takes several months to about 2 days.
KALEA Composter compost comes out ready to use in yards, gardens, and potted plants. You can also bag and store it for later use; it has a shelf life of about 2 years.