iStick USB-Lightning Flash Drive
Apple loves their proprietary ports more than a back alley hooker loves crack. And while iStick can't put an end to this affinity, it can make it easier for those of us with iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches to deal with. With a USB connector on one end and an Apple Lightning connector on the other, the iStick serves as a USB flash drive that can easily move data--files, music, movies--between computers and iProducts without calling upon the Internet, wireless networks, or the Cloud. This enable fast, clean transfers without risk of hackers or other third parties intercepting the information.
iStick is simple in both design and operation. A button on the top slides between the device's USB and Lightning connectors to create a dual USB flash drive and Lightning flash drive that is Apple MFi certified for compatibility with iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. Its intent is to eliminate lengthy synchronization processes and paid streaming services without sacrificing functionality or storage capabilities. iSticks are available in 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB sizes, and in addition to transferring data from one device to another, the drives can serve as backups for storing photos, videos, and other files that may otherwise require a Cloud subscription.
Users can also stream movies directly from an iStick to an iPad from anywhere, internet-connection-free. The iStick app will include a hardware-accelerated video decoder that supports some non-iOS native formats, such as MP4, M4V, MPV, MOV, MPG, MKV, AVI, WMV, RMVB, FLV, 3GP, and GIF.
iStick's Lightning connector will pair with iPhone 5/5s/5c, iPad (4th Generation), iPad mini, iPad mini with Retina display, iPad Air, and iPod Touch (5th Generation). USB connection/transfer can occur from both Mac and PC hardware. Running as a Kickstarter campaign through June 17, 2014, current iStick/iStick app features are as follows:
- Music & Movie Player (able to decode MKV, RMVB, AVI, WMV etc.)
- 1080p HD movie streaming, direct playback from iStick
- Photo & Document (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, PDF, iWork) Viewer
- Open files directly on the iStick without the need to copy to iDevice
- Copy/Move files between iDevice and iStick
- File Management (Copy/Cut/Paste/Delete/Rename/Create Folder)
- Backup photos/videos from iDevice Camera Roll to iStick
- Support "Open In" functionality
- Open files from other apps in iStick app
- Open files from iStick in other apps
- iDevice Contacts backup and restore